Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Another gem


Sunday night Steph cooked scallops for the first time, inspired by my recent experience in Baltimore. These little guys were tossed in a chili concoction and cooked to perfection--tender and light, like the consistancy of the tenderest fish. Accompanying it were delicious wilted fresh spinach (my first venture in wilting anything besides myself)




The romanesque cauliflower from the box--such a strange thing...I can't help but think of chairs when eating it.














And our quest for the perfect bite continues....

2 comments:

coffeehound said...

It's so easy to overcook scallops, so I've taken to routinely, deliberately undercooking them -- and they turn out perfectly. Thing is, they keep cooking even after you've taken them off the heat.

Stephanie Bush said...

Excellent suggestion. I've only recently learned to let steak and pork finish off the heat. This was my first go at scallops - Jill has only recently discovered seafood - so I'll try that next time.

The other thing I've read about scallops is that you need to buy them "dry," i.e. not floating in their own liquid at the market. I haven't been able to find these yet, at either Central Market or Quality Seafood. I suppose this might be a little easier in ME?